Operating near or under power lines poses unique hazards, and the following precautions should be followed to reduce potential equipment damage or injury:
- Don’t operate heavy equipment under power lines.
- Don’t drive with long antennas under power lines.
- Don’t park under power lines. The magnetic field around energized power lines can induce an electrical charge in ungrounded vehicles or equipment. This charge can shock anyone who touches the vehicle.
- Deactivated transmission and distribution lines may continue to pose a hazard due to induction.
- If power lines fall on your vehicle, DON’T leave the vehicle until the power company arrives. If the vehicle is on fire or fire is near, jump clear, don’t hang on, keep feet together, and bunny hop away.